Thursday, July 01, 2010

Anniversary

While I was reading all the blogs and RSS Feeds that I follow I was reading one about their loc anniversary.  I have never really  given much thought about celebrating my locs. But I have decided it is time………………….


The road to me getting my locs is very interesting. As least to me. #1 I have a very religious mother who believes that everything she thinks is the “law!” And she was against me getting locs.
*A couple years ago she decided that she loves natural hair now. And keeps hers in twist. And now she loves my hair.


My aunt Lottie was a hair stylist. She did my hair for free every Friday until she got too sick to work. (Eventually passing away from cancer.  Blessings arise) She helped me during the struggle of going perm free to natural. I use to get my hear cornrowed into a different style every week.
*Months after she saw my locs she decided that she loved the way I looked with them. And was glad that I got them.


I never liked perms. I would have never gotten one. But my father’s wife took me to get my hair done when I was about 12 and they put in a perm. (Against my mother and my father’s wishes) I dealt with perms for the next decade and some.
I have never liked the process of going to the hair salon.Waiting for hours. To me it was all for nothing. And when you have long hair (my hair has never been short) you pay a premium for everything.


Back in 2000 I decided that I wanted to try locs. I never really knew anyone who had them but I have always admired the way they looked. So one day I made me an appointment to go get my hair twisted to start the loc process. That hair appointment cost more than any of my regular “perm” appointment.  But it did take the hair stylist 6 hours to finish my hair. 


I was in love from the minute I looked in the mirror. My locs were beautiful.  But if anyone know locs. They have to mature before you can really call them locs. *My hair took a year to finally loc and stay loc’d.


I made one more retwist appointment where I asked my stylist if he would show me how to maintain my own hair. And then from that day on I have been having an adventure with my hair.


After 6 months of trying to get  my hair to loc (it was fighting me) I decided to try something different.  I cut my hair shorter. Up until that point it was shoulder length. I lost a boyfriend in the process.  He happened to walk in from work (I was at his place)  right when I was cutting the last loc. And he told me some BS about not liking women with short hair!  (WHAT AND EVA) *We ended up breaking up a month later because he  was unfaithful.


From that point on my hair actually started locs faster. Go figure. I for the next 2 years I cut it monthly while maintaining it, keeping it shoulder length.


Sometime around 2001-2002 while pregnant with my youngest child I decided to stop cutting my hair. So maintenance time was cut shorter. And I have not cut my hair in 8 years.  A couple years ago I started measuring it monthly to get an idea of how much it grows in a month.  Let’s just say I wish it would slow down! LOL


I have loved my long road with my locs. They have been there through thick and thin.  Good times and bad. Better or Worse.
Lately I have been thinking about cutting my hair. I can never seems to make up my mind about that.  Should I do it…………… Should I not!  I guess when or if I ever decide to do it. It will be sooner than later.


Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to say HAPPY ANNIVERSAY to my locs. I have had them for 10 years and 7 months. Longer than any of my relationships or friends. LOL  Longer than my youngest child.


As of right now they are approximately 2 1/2 feet long.

3 comments:

msrburke78 said...

Man, I was there almost from the beginning. Jeez, I've known you for a minute. Iremember you at the house with your hook and I think you were one of the first ppl I knew with locs and in influenced me in the decision to get them.

Mine are gone bye bye, but you are sticking rocking them well.

Happy Hairversary!

Freaky Deaky said...

Happy anniversary to your locs!

Ladynay said...

Awesome!

I say cut them! 2 1/2 feet got to be heavy!